Download auto-generated timing?

Hi, all!

Is it possible to download auto-generated English subtitles with timing as a start for translating to another language? I did that with a video on my own channel before. I guess someone with YouTube account access would need to make that available?

Thank you :pray:

Hey! Here’s what I did a couple of times:
Go to a free service that allows you to download automatically generated YouTube subtitles from the video’s URL, like downsub.com
Once you have the srt file, go to your amara editing page and choose “subtitle tools” → “upload subtitles” and upload the srt
Remember to double check it all obv, especially the more specialized Buddhist terms
Hope this is useful :seedling:

Hi dear Julie and Chloe,

Thank you so much for posting your question and suggestion for the solution here. We believe Chloe’s response pretty much answers your question, dear Julie.

That said, we encourage you to rely more on human-generated timecode as the auto-generated SRTs by YouTube can be pretty choppy and unreliable.

How about going to this tool and finding out if the video(s) you feel inspired to subtitle in another language have human-generated English subtitles yet?

If you’ve already had an Amara account, you can follow the instruction from this previous post to download the SRTs with the timing.

Although subtitling can be time-consuming, subtitling Plum Village and Plum Village App videos is a totally different experience. We at Plum Village hope you’ll enjoy every minute of it, as much as we do.

May today unfold kindly to you, dear Julie and Chloe
Bowing deeply with gratitude,
:pray: :brown_heart: :sparkles:
Tuyen