Visibility of subtitled videos in a specific language on YouTube

Dear All,

I note that Sveja_Marinova raises a good point in the Introduction thread:

Recently I’ve been struggling with the following issue. The video’s I’ve subtitled are not easy to find amongst the great number of PV video’s on You Tube. How can I make it possible for Bulgarian viewers to find the videos which are provided with Bulgarian subtitles?

I created this thread to post my thoughts on the question, so that the Introduction thread does not go “off topic.” (Clearly, the thread is not intended solely for my thoughts though!)

Sadly, it appears that YouTube does not offer an easy search for subtitles in a specific language…

The best thing that I can think of would be to create a playlist of Plum Village videos with complete subtitles for a specific language. For example, the Bulgarian playlist could be titled “Plum Village (Bulgarian Subtitles)” or similar (I’m not sure of the exact structure, but hopefully this conveys the idea).

Clearly there is a bit of manual overhead here, but if this were deemed a good idea, we could create one thread per language to orchestrate the creation of the playlist?

Hopefully others have better ideas. : )

Thank you & regards,
–Matthew

1 Like

Thank you @Matthew for making this thread.

I am tagging @Sveja_Marinova to hopefully see this too :slightly_smiling_face:

On the topic of Bulgarian subtitles specifically, I have just added this language to our little tool to find videos that are in need of subtitles: Plum Village App

I believe that on YouTube anyone could create a playlist for a specific language including videos from multiple sources like the Plum Village App channel, the Plum Village channel and others. So if someone would like to try this they are welcome to do so. (It is too early to say if this is something we would have the resources to manage within the PV App team, but if there is anything we can do to assist curators of such playlists we can at least try to help.)

I am also thinking about creating a solution for the same issue within the Plum Village App itself. We now support a few languages within the app (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Vietnamese) but it will not be feasible to offer the same level of support in every language, for example Bulgarian. But we might be able to offer a folder of videos that have subtitles in other languages (like Bulgarian). If anyone has any feedback on this idea please do share :pray:

1 Like

Thank you @Matthew for creating this tread and for sharing your ideas!

Thank you @Justin_Emery for your information. I believe that it would not be feasible to give the same support for all languages as you presently do for the more popular languages either. Nevertheless, I do hope that we could find some way of tool or support in the near future which will help users to search and find PV video’s with subtitles in a particular (less popular) language.

Creating a public playlist in my own You Tube Channel was the only thing I could think of to keep together and not lose the video’s I have subtitled. The good thing about it is I can share it :slight_smile:
Thich Nhat Hanh (Bulgarian subtitles) - YouTube) Still it is not something that that You Tube users can find if they search for this kind video’s.

Last but not least, a big thank you to you, Justin for adding Bulgarian to the Plum Village app tool. I personally find it very useful. It is just so much easier to find (an English subtitled) video on a topic I wish to translate. Today I finished translating “Touching impermannce” and its contents did touch me deeply. (This was exactly the kind of wisdom I needed at this period of my life.)

I am really grateful to all who provide the videos with English subtitles and timing. I could not do it without that.

Cheers and take care,
Sveja

Hello @Justin_Emery and @Sveja_Marinova,

But we might be able to offer a folder of videos that have subtitles in other languages (like Bulgarian). If anyone has any feedback on this idea please do share

I was wondering how difficult it would be to add a small ‘filter’ selector that, when active, only shows the videos items that either have an audio track in the language of the person using the app or have a subtitle in the language of the person using the app? I realise that the data might not be available easily and thus this may not be feasible…

Still it is not something that that You Tube users can find if they search for this kind video’s.

The playlist does appear now: YouTube search for Тик Нят Хан- български субтири. Thank you for the link – or I would never have known the right words to locate it.

Regards,
–Matthew